DC Microgrids: Solar Power Innovation powers India
“Blackouts” or improper supply of electricity are major issues faced by a majority of the Indians especially those living in villages. Electrification of villages has been a massive task for the government, and even with the presence of grid systems, no one can guarantee the ample power needed to meet the demand.
Solar power DC microgrids helping the government in solving the energy crisis.
Advantages of solar power DC microgrids
The Indian Government is investing heavily in activities related to the electrification of villages, building transmissions, high tension lines, etc. But these efforts have not been sufficient to repair the dent caused by the shortage of power.
Therefore renewable energy plays a crucial role in the development of villages which lack basic amenities of regular power supply. Some of the major advantages of DC microgrids to the villagers are:
- Electricity for the household: With the help of rooftop solar power DC microgrid systems, we can provide electricity to even those villages and houses where the government has still not been able to reach. People residing in remote areas would benefit from such systems.
- Saving the loss of current on conversion: The traditional Solar energy systems generate Alternate current (AC), then it is converted into Direct Current (DC) for our home appliances. In this process, around 5 to 10 percent of electricity gets wasted. A DC micro-grid system counters this wastage. Here direct current (DC) is produced and directed to the household for running the electronic appliances.
- An alternate source of energy: Homes with electricity from conventional grids can also get the benefit of such systems. Micro-grids act as a power backup for homes.
- Help in meeting the peak demand: When demand is at its peak, and it’s not easy to meet the demand, there is a regular practice of power cuts to regularize these peak demands. It has been seen, that the areas with solar power DC microgrids do not have to face acute power requirements and power cuts.
- Fewer power cuts: Rooftop solar power DC microgrids create an additional source of electricity. With this, the over dependency of the people on regular grids minimized and helps in regularizing the supply of electricity and resulting in very fewer power cuts.
- Savings on costly conversion inverters: Earlier rooftop solar energy systems needed inverters which were expensive, but not so efficient, for conversion of current from AC to DC. This led to increase in capital cost of the systems and made it less feasible for village people with limited resources. The innovation has made systems cheaper and better for usage for people living in remote areas.
Major power issues faced by people of India
People living in villages are facing significant power shortage, a matter that is causing limited or very slow economic and social development. Main problems being:
- The majority of villages with grid electricity receive only 4 hours of electricity per day.
- Frequent and prolonged power cuts effects even some major part of cities affecting the working of middle-income people.
- One fifth of the population or a quarter of billion people in India has no access to electricity.
- Many people are forced to install diesel generators for electricity needs. Rising prices of diesel cause big holes in their pockets.
Conclusion: Benefits for the people and the government
Both the Government and the people enjoy rich benefits from solar energy and innovations in the field of rooftop solar energy systems. Some common and significant advantages are:
- Cost Benefit: The prime benefit of promoting these solar power DC microgrids is cost. Both for the government and the people it is entirely feasible to invest in this cheap alternate source of energy.
- The problem of Power: By promoting solar energy the government can enjoy power at the political stage for a longer duration. At the same time, people living in these remote areas, do not have to spend their nights in darkness anymore.
Balance in Demand and Supply: Solar energy system helps in creating the balance between demand and supply. People with rooftops solar energy grids do not have to be dependent on local transmission and the government does not have to invest in expensive fossil fuels to generate electricity for meeting the peak demand.
June 27, 2017
June 20, 2017